Weather Station pole mounting

2014-10-10 16.51.44 (Large)

Ideas and drawings

As my weather station project continues to make progress, I need to think about a way to mount the pole for the sensors, to my garage.

Looking at other people’s experiences with having such sensors placed outside, I found that it needs to be very strong to keep up with the continuous beating from mother nature. This means that instead of just 3D printing some mounts for the rod that holds the sensors, I am going to mill some mounts out of aluminium instead.

rodclamp3 (Medium)

And this is what I came up with. The block needed to make this should be 80x47x20 mm. To mill this I can use a 6mm end-mill and just mill out the hole, and have it run around the outside contour, in a depth of 15.5-16mm. While still on the block like this, I am going to drill the holes and afterwards saw it into a top and bottom piece to be able to clamp the rod.

rodclamp2 (Medium)

After drilling the holes and removing the excess material, it should look something like this.

rodclamp1 (Medium)

The hole in the clamps is 20mm, just like the tube they are going to hold is. The blade on the saw I am going to use will make a 1mm wide gap where it cuts, and that is what I am going to use so the clamp actually can press on the tube.

mountdxf

By downloading the dxf file listed below, you should be able to just load it into your preferred CAM software and generate the code needed to mill out the contour.

Source

Mount: https://github.com/blddk/stlFiles/blob/master/wallMount_20mm_rod.dxf

Getting stuff done

The first step was to just get the contour of the clamp milled out. And as you can see on the picture below, it turned out pretty nice.

2014-09-30 16.31.47 (Large)

After this I decided to do things a bit different than what I wrote at the beginning, because the next step will be to remove the material left on the backside.

2014-10-10 13.55.21 (Large)

And here we are, removing the excess material.

2014-10-10 14.00.06 (Large)

Notice how I leave the material at the bottom of the feet, this will be the last I remove. This way their strength won’t be compromised while removing the other material.

2014-10-10 14.36.22 (Large)

Success! Next step, drill some holes.

2014-10-10 14.54.06 (Large)

I decided on 4mm holes, so they can be clamped together by M4 bolts.

The next step I forgot to take pictures off, but it involved a cutting blade mounted in a mill, then using that to cut through the top of the mounts so it will act as a clamp.

2014-10-10 15.32.30 (Large)

So here we are, cut in half, holes drilled, bagged, tagged, ready to mount!

2014-10-10 16.51.44 (Large)

All I need to do now, is to mount it on the garage.

Leave a Reply